Vegetarian Enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo!

I love Mexican food. I don't know if it's because I grew up in Texas, or because I just like spicy foods in general, but enchiladas are one of my favorites.  I came up with these enchiladas during the year we went vegetarian, but they're such a household favorite that I continue to use them for Meatless Mondays.

Let me put my **Disclaimer** here:  If you are Mexican, turn away now, before you get angry.  There is virtually nothing authentic about these enchiladas, and your great grandmothers' will probably begin to haunt me after I post this.  They sure are tasty though....

Here's what I normally use to make them:

1 bag frozen corn
1 small can green chilies
1 large or 2 small cans (red) enchilada sauce
1 red onion
1 can black beans
1 pack flour tortillas (yes, enchiladas are usually in corn tortillas, but I really don't like soft corn tortillas)
1 bag (2.5 cups) shredded cheese (the mexican blend is really good)

That's it.

I was so excited to have these for dinner, but when I started to make them, and realized I only had a yellow onion, no corn, and no green chilies.... whomp, whomp, whompppp....

Depressing.

I wasn't going to let that stop me.  Instead of corn, I subbed diced tomatoes, added in some taco seasoning to make up for the green chiles, and used a yellow onion in place of the red.  They turned out alright.... but trust me, you really want to use the ingredients I listed above.  But because I say so, just pretend the pictures below have the proper ingredients.  Ok, thanks.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Saute the onion in a pan with a bit of oil, add in the frozen corn, then the green chiles, and lastly the can of black beans.
Lay a scoop of mixture down the center of a tortilla, then sprinkle with cheese and roll up.  Place into a 9x13 glass baking dish.
Repeat until you have filled the baking dish.  Depending how you stuff them, you can usually get about 6 in a dish.
Pour 1/2 of the large can (or 1 entire small can) of enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas.  Try and let the sauce seep under and in between the enchiladas a bit, you'll be glad you did.  Pop the dish into oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove dish from oven and add 1/2 of the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and top off with the last bit of enchilada sauce.
Place dish back into the oven for 10-15 minutes (until cheese has melted).
Enjoy your tasty (and cheap!) non-authentic Mexican meal for Cinco de Mayo!




1 comment

  1. We're vegetarians and ALWAYS on the lookout for new recipes. I'll definitely give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons