Pregnancy: Weeks 7, 8, and 9, + a Recipe!

Week 7:
By now, my morning sickness has kicked into full gear.  I can't, for the life of me, figure out what's triggering it. All I know, is that doesn't seem to be smell or taste related.  It's just that anything at all might trigger a gag reflex and send me spiraling down into the abyss of sickdom.  I can't take very long showers, because the steam has set me off quite a few times, and if my nose is slightly runny - watch out.

Week 8:
This week I had an initial consultation with my midwife, and I love her!  All the ladies at the birth center we've chosen are awesome! I have so much to say about them and having a natural birth, I think it will have to be a separate post.

The down side of this week is:  such bloating!  I even told the midwife I'm worried there might be 8 babies in there or something.  I'm seriously wondering if that may be the case.  Nausea and morning sickness are still in  full swing.  Boo.

Week 9:
My bestest best friend in school used to burp all the time.  (I promise this is relevant.)  I mean all the time.  Like, these little hiccupy burps. I always remember thinking, "Who on earth has that many burps in them?"  Well, hello pregnancy.  I'm now filled with those hiccupy burps.  They come out all day long.  Fun.
The good news is, my midwife told me about Papaya Enzyme.  It's these little chewable tablets, similar to tums, except safe during pregnancy.  They taste like papaya-flavored sweet tarts with less sugar and more chalk.  I'm going to give them a try and see if they work for me.


I've figured out why all the bloating.  Everything that's going in, is not coming out.  Constipation is a common problem for women during pregnancy, since all your organs are shifting around to make room for the baby and his/her little "home."  Hello prune juice (blech).
There is a much tastier solution than prune juice though. I wanted to share with you a recipe for what my mom calls, "haystacks." These puppies are delicious, and will help make you "go."
Haystacks:
You will need:
Fiber One cereal (this comes 2 bags to a box, you will need 1 bag)
chocolate chips (12 oz)
peanut butter (3 tbsp)
a large bowl
parchment paper

Place chocolate chips in bowl.  
Plop peanut butter on top.  
Melt chocolate chips as you normally would.  
(I use the microwave 30 method.  Microwave 30 seconds, stir, microwave 30 more seconds, stir, keep repeating until chocolate chips are melted.) 
Pour bag of Fiber One cereal into bowl of melted chocolate and peanut butter.  Fold mixture until all the cereal is coated.  
Drop scoops in desired size of mixture onto parchment paper (the size pictured above is 1/3 cup).
You may allow to harden on the counter or opt to refrigerate.  If you place them in the fridge, they will harden much faster, but will condensate when you take them out.  It's your call.

 *If you try them, let me know how you like them! 


Photobucket
Whatever You Want Wednesday

4 comments

  1. I'm so excited for you! I had horrible morning sickness as well (thought I had the flu when I told dear hubby to buy a pregnancy test to rule it out). The only thing that helped me was eating. Tiny bites. All the time. If I ever let me stomach get empty.... and if I ever ate too much..... Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel like I'm constantly eating, but I can't ever eat too much at a time!

      Delete
  2. Oh and I used some all natural papaya liquid (could be similar to the tablets) at the end of my pregnancy to fight heartburn naturally! Hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Haystacks recipe. Wish I'd had it during my three pregnancies. I'm so glad you are doing these weekly updates. So fun!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons