Pregnancy: Week 11 - Dealing with Cold/Flu While Pregnant

Week 11 began with me feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.  Little Guy had been sick the week before, and my poor, weak little immune system took a huge beating.  My body's been so busy creating a space for the new little one to grow, and giving it all my nutrients to survive, that it's seems there just weren't enough left for "mamadukes" over here to fend off a sickness - and let me tell you, this was some rough stuff.  The only bonus I could find, is that while I was super sick, my morning sickness stayed away.

Stuffy/runny nose, congestion, swollen glands, fatigue, fever, chills, sweats, you name it.  I stayed in bed or on the couch for nearly 5 days, only getting up to pick Little Guy up from school.  He was really great about letting me just lay and watch movies with him in the afternoons.  I'm also so thankful for my parents, because they took him to their house for the weekend while Hubby was working so I could rest.

So here's the deal with being sick when you're pregnant.  Don't do it.  Seriously.  It totally stinks.  You can't really take anything to help you.  I've read that it's ok to take Robitussin, but I'm not really sure if that applies during the first trimester (when baby is so vulnerable), so I took nothing.  Nothing!  Well, yes, I do want a medal, thank you.

If you do get a cold during the first trimester, there are some natural remedies you can try.  Here's what I did:

1. ran a humidifier in our room 

(we have this one by Crane)

 

  2. rub Vick's Vapor rub liberally on the bottoms of my feet, and then put a pair of socks on 

3. drank lots of water, tea (with honey - and maybe some lemon), oj, and broth.  The only "food" I made myself eat while sick was watermelon (more liquids and plenty of vitamin C) since eating made me really tired and out of breath.

4. take teaspoons of honey mixed with cinnamon periodically throughout the day. 

5. continued to take my prenatal vitamin

6. took a Tylenol (acetaminophen) when I had a fever 
*This is the only pain reliever that's ok to take while pregnant.  DO NOT take Asprin (Advil), Ibuprofen (Motrin), or Naproxen (Aleve) while pregnant!!!!

7. got lots and lots of rest

So, on the 6th day I still had some cold symptoms, but all in all, felt much better.  As in, could get up and tackle all the housework that was awaiting my return.  Wouldn't ya know, though?  The morning sickness came back that very morning.  I guess you really can't have your cake and eat it too, huh?

*Do you have any suggestions for natural cold remedies while pregnant?


2 comments

  1. Oh man. I feel for you. I don't have any suggestions... but I did read Beyond the Sling! I enjoyed it! The only thing I really wasn't into was the EC stuff. I don't think I'm patient enough for all of that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! EC sounds great in theory, but I just don't see myself being able to keep up with it.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons