Banana Oat (Literally) Cookies

That's right.  Cookies made of bananas and oats.  Period.  Unless your house is like mine, and then you have to throw in some chocolate chips.  If, however, you happen to be a non-chocolate-chip-needing household, well then, we're back to just bananas and oats.
Cinnamon might be nice though...  You see, that's the beauty of these cookies, you can basically add in whatever tickles your fancy, or add nothing at all.  It's completely up to you.
healthy banana oat cookies

These have become our new Friday night treat, loved by all of us.  And I don't feel guilty eating them because it's almost like having a bowl of banana oatmeal, just in different form.

Alright, I know you're here for the recipe, so let's get started.

You truly only need bananas and oats in this ratio:

1 banana = 1/2 cup oats

The original recipe calls for quick cooking oats (those little, tiny oats) but we only ever have regular oats around our house.  Here's what I used for this batch:
 3 bananas
1 1/2 cups oats
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1 tbsp ground flax seed (I add flax into everything)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Mash your bananas well, add in the oats and flax, and mix.  Then pour in the chocolate chips (if you're using them) and mix.
I highly recommend parchment paper (it's non stick, and makes for easy clean up), but I was out this day, so I used the good old fashioned paper towel and coconut oil method for greasing my pan.  You must grease your pan if you don't have parchment paper!
Place rounded teaspoon sized scoops on pan, and bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes.  Once cooled, eat as many as you want and don't feel guilty about it - they're just banana oatmeal!!

You can also find this post at:



  Green Thickies Healthy Vegan Friday

Twelve O Eight Pretty Things Linky Party

The Self Sufficient Homeacre Wildcrafting Wednesday

Lady Bird Lane Weekend Show Off Party

PhotobucketThe Self Sufficient HomeAcre
Photobucket

The Self Sufficient HomeAcre

8 comments

  1. So simple but yet they look amazing and so healthy too. This is one treat we don't need to feel guilty about. I'm going to have to try these, I adore any oat based treat!
    I would love it if you shared this with Healthy Vegan Fridays, a blog hop co-hosted by 3 bloggers. I'm sure our readers would really enjoy this. You can submit a post from Friday to end of Tuesday:
    http://www.greenthickies.com/healthy-vegan-friday-30/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this idea! My kids will love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have bananas that are a little more ripe than my liking, so I think I'm going to make these in the next couple days. I love that I can substitute gluten-free ingredients for recipes like this. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow on the next Creative HomeAcre hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I will make this tomorrow since I just got a bargain on 3 1/2 lbs of bananas. :)
    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melinda! Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop!!! Can't wait to see what you share this coming Thursday :) Here's the super easy link to the next hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-homeacre-hop-8.html

    If you haven't checked out Wildcrafing Wednesday yet, please do! :) It's a hop I co-host for herbal remedies, natural living, real food recipes, and self sufficient living. Here's the link for tomorrow's hop:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/wildcrafting-wednesday-10.html

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons