Healthy Ice Cream....Really

We've all been in the mood for ice cream lately, but you can only make so many trips to the local frozen yogurt place before you start feeling guilty, and maybe a little sickish.  We needed a healthy alternative to our ice cream cravings. 
healthy ice cream
I'd read somewhere that you can put frozen bananas in the blender and make them into ice cream, so I thought an experiment was in order.  We have no blender, but we do have a food processor, so we got to work.

I used:

frozen bananas
a couple of strawberries
a dash of coconut milk


Process it until it looks like this:
and scoop it into your dish.  I put the remaining ice cream into a container in the freezer since 2-3 bananas makes enough for 3-4 servings. 
Over the past few weeks, I've learned that you can really alter this any way you'd like.  Sometimes I subsitute yogurt for the milk, and sometimes I omit the milk completely.  You can pretty much mix the bananas with any fruit you'd like, or add in a few drops of a flavored extract.  So easy, so tasty, and much better for you than real ice cream.  I never feel guilty giving any to Little Guy for a "treat." 


You can also find this post on Homemade Mondays at:



8 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing on Homemade Mondays! I've never tried this before but everyone is talking about it and I really need to step up my game for my ice-cream loving family. I may do just do it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Homemade Mondays! For some reason I can't get your button to post, but I will keep trying! :)

      Delete
  2. I am definitely trying this in my blender. I do not have a food processor. Thanks for this recipe. I love that it is so healthy!!
    Have a beautiful weekend!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall make try this this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons