Watermelon Rind Pickles


Pickles are probably one of my favorite foods.  I love them.  I've even been known to keep the jar once all the pickles are gone so that I can drink the juice.  Some people may think that's gross, and that's fine. After all, it means more pickles for me!

When I heard about Watermelon Rind Pickles, I was skeptical.  It just sounded unnatural, but....it's not.  Back in the day it was common.  Nothing went to waste, not even watermelon rinds.
Watermelon Rind Pickle Recipe - @raisingwildfolk

These pickles are have a sweet spice to them due to the allspice, which compliments the watermelon quite nicely according to my taste testing guinea pigs here at home.

Watermelon Rind Pickle Recipe - @raisingwildfolk
Watermelon Rind Pickle Recipe - @raisingwildfolk
   Watermelon Rind Pickles
Watermelon Rind Pickles

So, let's get to the recipe.

You will need:

watermelon rinds (I used half a watermelon worth)

2 tablespoons salt

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons pickling spice

1/2 tsp allspice


Peel the green skin off the rinds, and slice into 1" strips.  Mine were apporoximately 3-4 inches long.

Boil rinds until they begin to look translucent and feel slightly tender.  Drain and let cool.

Combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil until sugars have dissolved.

Place cooled rinds into mason jars, and pour the pickling liquid over the rinds, just covering them with the liquid.

Enjoy your pickles after a few hours of refrigeration.  Pickles should last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Watermelon Rind Pickle Recipe - @raisingwildfolk

Tried it?  Let me know what you think in the comments section!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons