Make Your Own Natural Peanut Butter

Peanut butter is a staple in our home; eaten almost daily by one of its inhabitants.  It's also something that can be very easily made without all the added sugars and chemical ingredients.  To make our peanut butter I use:  peanuts and flaxseeds.  That's all.  Really.  And it's wonderful.
For this batch I used 2 cups of peanuts, although I should have used 3 to fill the jar completely.
 The peanuts will go through quite a few different phases before they reach the proper consistency. 
 It will be very grainy at first,
until it begins to form a ball. 
 The ball will begin to smooth itself out,
 back into a less grainy paste.
 Once you begin to see the grains disappear, you may add in the flaxseed, if so desired. 
 Give it a few quick pulses to mix, and that's it. 
 Creamy peanut butter with ingredients you can pronounce.
 Sorry about the less than uniform image sizes.  Blogger is being difficult at the moment.  I will come back and increase the smaller images when I can.      Much better!

* Check out Your Green Resource for more Green ideas!! 
A Big "Thank You" to Simply Rebekah for choosing this as the featured post for Your Green Resource!

14 comments

  1. May I ask how long it lasts in a container? Have you tried different types of flavors?

    Caplingers2002@yahoo.com

    Thanks!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've actually never had a jar last longer than 2 weeks around here, so I'm not exactly sure how long it lasts! I keep it in the pantry, but I'd imagine it would keep a few months in the fridge. I've tried adding honey, and it was good, but we prefer plain.

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! I want to try that, but only have a handheld blender (nervous about the plastic on most small blenders, and can't justify a Vitamix): do you think it will work with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...My first impulse is to say "no," but you could always give it a try and see how it goes. If you try, let me know because I'm curious now. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the photos! I've been making peanut butter for a while, but have struggled to get the right texture. Now I know I haven't been mixing long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very welcome! I'm a visual learner, so I love step-by-step photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should the flax seed be ground? I always thought it needed to be ground for the body to absorb it.

    I love the idea of making peanut butter at home. I'm going to feature this post for Your Green Resource this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do get more out of the flax when it's ground, nutritionally. I'm sure you could add in ground flax and it most likely wouldn't alter the texture much (if at all). I just like the little crunch I get from the whole seeds in the peanut butter. Thank you! :)

      Delete
    2. crunchy vs. smooth peanut butter - It is always a heated debate. ;)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Just found your blog today. Do you use roasted or raw peanuts? They looked roasted...Have you tried using raw nuts? Was wondering what your family thought of a raw peanut butter, before I go out and by some bulk nuts...thank you for your posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I use roasted. I've actually never tried it with raw nuts. If you do end up using raw, let me know how you like it. :)

      Delete
  8. So salted dry roasted Planters-type peanuts? or do you shell them yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm far too lazy to shell them myself. ;)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons