Summer Fun Unit!

 It's the middle of summer and boy, is it HOT here in sunny Florida! Even though we've still been having "school time," it's been much more laid back than during our "school year." I've got loads of activities ready to go, but if we don't get around to them one day, I really don't sweat it. It is summer, after all. Plus, I'm trying to make sure Little Guy sees learning as a fun, natural part of life, rather than a boring chore. That being said, here are some of the activities we've been working on during the past few weeks.

We've got some summery, artsy, craftsy activities.
A "stained glass" tissue paper mosaic, painting a wooden lighthouse, summer stamping, and a fishy windchime.

I found some fun, summer time printables over at NickJr. 
Which is also where I found this awesome Letter Tracing Pack from Bubble Guppies.  I just printed out the pack, placed each sheet in a plastic page protector, and put all the pages in a 3 prong folder.  The folder stays in Little Guy's new desk (which we got for 8 bucks!! from a thrift store), and he can take it out and work on it whenever the mood strikes him - which, I'm happy to say, has been much more often than I anticipated. 
I don't correct Little Guy's work in his folder at all.  I offer encouragement when I see him working, but I want this to be his fun activity so he doesn't feel any pressure about holding the marker a certain way or working in order or any of that stuff. 

In case you run across these Grow a Gooey Sea Adventure creatures pictured above at Walmart in the dollar section, don't waste your dollar.  We'd had such luch with our Growing Grasshopper that I thought this 3 pack of sea creatures would be a blast.  Well, that sure didn't work out.  We started out trying the shell, and when we went out to check on it the next morning, it was a gloppy, gooey mess! 

Over at 3 Dinosaurs, they have a Beach themed Printable Pack that is awesome!  We used some of the tracing pages, beginning sounds pages, and the 3 part cards.  We love using the 3 part cards to play "memory" with.  Then, I save them to cut up for matching pictures and words. 

This Alphabet Letter Tile page is from Itsy Bitsy Learners.
Over at Homeschool Creations, you can find this sea animal sorting page.

For a practical life activity, we sharpened this shimmery, blue pencil.  I can't tell you how proud Little Guy was of himself when he finished sharpening it without any help from me!

We've also been sorting sea stones,
creating our own ocean habitats with blue moon dough and sea creatures,
and going fishing for some sea life!

And don't forget the most important part of summer:
Fun in the Sun!!

Here's what we've been reading:





Linked up at:  Beat the Boredom Summer Link Up

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons