The Letter K


Thank you, letter K, for staying true to your letter sound.  Unfortunately, your wanna be, the letter C is constantly trying to steal your glory and confuse my child.  All week as we tried to come up with words that began with K to write on our board, Little Guy would name words like "castle" or "catch."  When he asked me why "cat" starts with C and "kitten" starts with K, the only answer I could come up with was "Good question!  Well, because sometimes letters are tricky and they pretend to sound like other letters."  !?!?!?  What are you supposed to say?  Because C is a letter that rips off 2 sounds, the S and the K, neither of which it would actually make if I had designed our alphabet (I would use it only to make the ch sound, in case you're wondering).  Oh, the joys of teaching...

Anywho, let's get back to the Letter K and what we did this week.  Since Little Guy is so into painting lately, I've been trying to incorporate it as much as I can.  I thought it would be fun to make a "blank" letter K, so we taped a construction paper K onto a paper and Little Guy got to work painting every bit of white he could find. 


We got outside and played some "kickety kickball."

Little Guy got familiar with the letter K by tracing it with his finger in his I Can Trace book. 


Our Letter Tile Matching page was once again this week made using lower case letters that Little Guy had to match using his upper case letter tiles.


We did a couple of letter K worksheets from our Preschool Beginning Sounds and BrainQuest Pre-K workbooks.

Although not K related, we made the mini book at the back of Little Guy's High Five magazine.  Little Guy cut out the pages, we put them in numerical order, folded them in half, and stapled them together.  The best part was that the book was super easy and Little Guy could basically read it out loud with me!


We used a giant push pin to poke holes along the lines of letter K's, and did the Letter K Writing Page from Confessions of a HomeSchooler.  I tape the writing page on the easel to change things up a little bit.

On Friday, Little Guy made his own kite.  I set out construction paper, glue, and ribbon, and Little Guy got to work. 

I also found a kite in the dollar section at Target!  Little Guy had a blast flying it on a windy day.




This week we read:



No comments

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons