Dr. Seuss Week!

Dr. Seuss's birthday is the day before Little Guy's; and since this year The Lorax comes out on birthday weekend, I thought it would be really fun to devote a whole week to Dr. Suess books. 

We read "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" and did this really fun Goldfish game I found at obSEUSSED.com. We rolled the die and whatever number it landed on is how many Goldfish crackers we added to the corresponding numbered fishbowl.

   I suppose you can guess who won?  Little Guy.  Every.  Time. 

The, we read "The Foot Book"  and Little Guy did this foot matching game I made.
I just drew some feet on index cards, colored them in, and cut them in half different ways for Little Guy to match up.

We also read "The Lorax" which, darn it, got me a little choked up and led into a discussion on our planet, and why it is so important that we treat it with kindness.  We discussed how the Onceler was interested in making money, but in doing so was hurting everything around him.  We talked about how it's nice to be able to make money, but money is not the most important thing.  Living things are much more important because they are all connected.  And that brought us to how they are all connected.  What I was really amazed by, was that Little Guy was genuinely interested.  He was full of questions and I gladly answered them and asked him what he thought until he grew tired of the subject.  Then, we moved on to our Lorax activities. 

Luckily for us, 2 Teaching Mommies made a Lorax themed preschool pack, so I printed out a couple of the activities for Little Guy.  He did the "Which is Different?" and the "Tree Size Sort."

I also made this Truffula Tree activity which is great for developing those fine motor skills. 
I just colored an Oatmeal container, glued on a Lorax image that I printed from the computer, and poked holes in the lid.  Then I stretched out and colored cotton balls, glued them to pipe cleaners that I had cut in half, and voila!  A Truffula Tree activity! 
Here's a pic of Little Guy, hard at work.
Hooray!
Today, we read Little Guy's favorite Dr. Suess book, "Green Eggs and Ham" and played The Learning Journey Match It (Rhyme).

Tomorrow is Little Guy's 5 birthday and we are going to see The Lorax!! 



You can find this post at:

For the Kids Friday  
Montessori Monday

2 comments

  1. Oh this is so much fun. I love your ideas for Dr Seuss especially the truffula trees!

    Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase. I've pinned this to our board.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
All content and images are © Melinda Collazo 2011-2016.

ShareThis

Search

Social Icons